Rachel's Buddha Bowl
Rachel of Nourish'd by Rachel Eagleton introduced me to the Buddha Bowl. I have changed her recipe only slightly with a couple of additions of my own, but it lends itself to many variations, so us whatever you have handy!
Soy is an excellent vegetarian protein source, but it also provides iron, calcium and isoflavones which are believed to be protective against some cancers.
1 Tablespoon Miso- preferably a live, refrigerated one.
1 Cup vegetable/chicken stock or Dashi, hot
200g pre-Marinated Tofu
1-2 cups of precooked brown rice, quinoa, soba noodles or zucchini "zoodles"
200g Mushrooms, sliced
2 Teaspoons Tamari (or reduced salt soy sauce)
2 Teaspoons Grated Ginger
2-4 Big Handfuls Baby Spinach/Kale (I also added snow peas)
1 small can, drained, of edamame beans (or use fresh if available)
Sliced Spring Onions, Toasted Sesame Seeds, Nori Sheet for Topping
1. Heat a frying pan and toast the sesame seeds, set aside.
2. In a little olive oil, saute the greens and mushrooms with the ginger. Sprinkle with tamari and put on a plate.
3. Add a little more olive oil and saute the tofu on both sides.
4. Prepare the miso by adding the hot stock/dashi and whisking together to get rid of any miso lumps.
5. Place a little miso in the bottom of your serving bowls. Add rice/alternative. Add greens and mushrooms, edamame, marinated tofu.
6. Pour over the remaining miso and stock.
Garnish with sesame seeds, crumbled nori sheet and sliced spring onions.